R.O.C. Alien Resident Certificate (ARC)

For international students, the Alien Resident Certificate (ARC) serves as their temporary ID card which can prove their resident status in Taiwan. It is a very important document and international students are advised to take good care of it and pay attention to its expiration date!

Moreover, whether international students have entered Taiwan with Resident Visa or obtained Resident Visa through visa change within Taiwan, please remember to apply for the Alien Resident Certificate and Re-entry Permit at the local office of Ministry of Interior National Immigration Agency on the next day upon arrival or within 15 days of the issue of their resident visa.

1. Required Documents

(1) Application Form (PDF)
(2) Alien Resident Certificate (except for first-time applicants)
(3) 2-inch photo (2 photos for first-time applicants; 1 photo for applicants for ARC extension.)
(4) Original Passport and Resident Visa and one copy of each
(5) Original Student ID Card or Enrollment Verification and one copy of it. (The freshman students could use NTU admission as verification, National Immigration Agency Service Office will grant a ARC with six month validity in the beginning. When students accomplish registration and receive their student ID cards, they should extend their ARC to one year validity.).

2. Application Procedure

When applying for ARC, please prepare the required documents and go to the local service of Ministry of Interior National Immigration Agency. The process can be done in person or by an agent who is provided the certificate of entrustment signed by the applicant. But the first-time applicants shall apply for ARC personally.

3. Payment

NT$1,000 (One-Year Valid), NT$2,000 (Two-Year Valid), NT$3,000 (Three-Year Valid).
Applicants requesting ARC renewal due to the loss or damage of their ARC must pay NT$500 for the renewal process.

4. Notes for First-time Application

(1) Resident Visa holders (or ones who obtained Resident Visa within ROC by visa change) are required to apply for the Alien Resident Certificate and Re-entry Permit at the local office of the Ministry of Interior National Immigration Agency on the next day upon arrival or within 15 days of the issue of your resident visa.

(2) If Alien Resident Certificate holders need to leave and Re-enter ROC within the valid period of their ARC, they should apply for re-entry permits while applying for ARC.

5. Notes for ARC Extension

(1) International students have to apply for ARC extension one month earlier than the expired date. If the ARC expires during the summer vacation (from July to September), students are allowed to apply for extension from the 1st of June.

(2) For over-staying foreigners who did not apply for ARC extension, their residence will be ceased by the authorized agency, and they may be expelled from Taiwan.

(3) Students who have just arrived in Taiwan, currently hold a 6-month ARC, and haven’t finished school registration will be able to extend their period of stay upon completion of school registration.

(4) Students who are currently studying in Taiwan and need to extend their stay are required to provide proof of academic enrollment or a student ID card. If students are not yet registered (students have to complete their registration by paying tuition fee and get their student ID card stamped at office of academic affairs), proof of academic enrollment is exempted, students can still get an ARC extension of one year.

(5) Graduates seeking employment in Taiwan are required to provide a graduation certificate to extend their period of stay. The maximum extension is six months, starting from the month of graduation. If students have postponed their graduation, they are required to provide documentation to keep or extend their ARC. Students will be granted a maximum extension of one year, according to their academic situation.

ARC extension application form is the same as the ARC application form, see link above.

6. For more details, please contact the National Immigration Agency

Website: http://www.immigration.gov.tw/mp.asp?mp=2
Address: No.15, Guangjhou St., Jhong Jheng District, Taipei City
Business Hours: Taipei Office: Monday to Friday 8:00 – 17:00
Other Branch Office: Monday to Friday 8:00 – 17:00
Tel: Main Line: (02)2388-9393
Automatic Answering Line: (02)2370-2797
Manual Answering Line: (02)2389-9983; 0800-024-111 (English, Japanese, and Mandarin services available)
E-mail: boi@immigration.gov.tw

Update: 2017 / 07 / 03